Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday's Tip Books We Use

  Having read both Marian and Heather's blogs. I think the topic deserves some comment.
 I wonder how often I have offered advise to people but not always given them a concise reference of books to potentially acquire to help in their research.

 I know I am an avid fan of William Dollarhide, Map Guide to American Migration Routes, 1735-1815. book. I recommend this book to every genealogist working genealogy in the United States.

 I  know I refer them to George W. Schweitzer's books for each state, that he did.

 Thinking on this I am going to go one step beyond and print up a flyer with what I think are
 critical books for any area for Beginners and Intermediate Research.  I also feel Advanced can get in a rut as much as  Beginner's can get confused.  Again as creatures of habit (rote) we sometimes do ourselves in with repetition and over look what we need to see.

 We need to encourage others to use some good basic sources for the development of good habits.
 We also should encourage others to try new things and not get so in a rut.

 There are some good basic books out there for assistance.

 My top books would be:
1. William Dollarhide's -Map Guide to American Migration Routes, 1735-1815.

 2. George W Schweitzer's State books, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland etc.

 3. Ancestry, The Source, &  Printed Sources

 4.  The Handy Book for Genealogists.

 5.  Val  D. Greenwood," The Researchers Guide to American Genealogy"

 When doing region work the list changes by additional books being added.

 I recommend people to read  Will Books. Do you realize you can piece a family together just reading Will Books many times? I love the books about "left mail in the Post Office", Land Deeds, Probate books, Church Record books, Tax lists and business license registers.  Of course do not forget Census records whether in book form or otherwise.  But they are not always the answer to what your looking for.  Again these books are generic in nature to any area.

For specific areas, they have some really great books for each region, locale.

I hope this was of some help to those who read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment