Friday, February 10, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy- Heirlooms

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy- Heirlooms

Heirlooms tell a story of their own. They can be from a small trinket, locket, clipping of hair to something as large as these huge poster type documents my Mother inherited from the Scott side of the family.
They are close to 26 across and 38 long. Very unique I think.
One that I photographed but forgot to take was the ones that Henry Huffman wrote out about his family and their births, marriages and deaths. Yes all in his hand.  Then his son Sanford Hoffman did the same thing for us family. With pictures of their faces.  As heirlooms they are very informative to me.

I also have photos, and mini family stories that various members wrote that either Grandad, Mom or someone else kept and finally past on to me. I even have a book that Grandad had when he was attending church when small. This probably because his Grandfather Sanford was a lay minister and he traveled also. Sanford also served in the Civil War with his brother.  It appears all the boys did at one point.

 What is my most favorite? I do not think I have one. The Apron Grandma crocheted me when I was in High School for a school event. Priceless. The pictures, quilt pieces, I think the things  made by hand and the things written in hand to pass down probably carry the most weight.

 Pictures of the faces of the people I have researched are probably my very most favorite of all the items.
 It is nice to have a face that goes with a name.

   I truly think the pictures come out on top with letters written in hand and hand made Items probably
   are the tops.

   I acquired them from my Mom's after her death and many of them prior to her death over the years as I
   communicated with family.

   Mom was a stickler for us to wrote to our Aunts, Uncles and Grandparents, Great Grandparents.
    I am struggling to have my children even friend a cousin on Facebook. It is a sad thing in my
    book that my children did not meet their cousins first hand like my Dad made sure I did.

    Yes they met some but they just do not get the reason for the acquaintanceship at times.

     I hope to put the quilt pieces together for each of our children to have something from their Great
    Grand Parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment