Monday, September 10, 2018

In Memory of William Richard Hoffman, our Uncle.

 My mother had several siblings. She shared many great stories about her family and life.
Many were so hysterical and fun to have lived. I think that is why she shared them with us and others so often.

I have no story about swinging from the rafters and dropping into the dishpan of water which Aunt Marie did when when a siblings was  born.  I think it was Aunt Ruth.  Some where I may have it written or Mom may have but we always laughed when the story was told.

We cried when she mentioned her baby brother that fell off a couch and ultimately died many years later from the injury he suffered. He was Raymond and she spent a lot of time helping him.

The tomato fight she had with Marie when a certain young man came to call on a Hoffman girl.
 That must have been quite a mess.

Our Uncle helped to share some  of these stories over the years.

 I am hoping cousin Ken Feil can share the story Uncle shared when we last visited for Richard Hoffman's Rememberance  2014. Uncle Roy's boy.

Aunt Doris and Uncle Dick have always had a close connection to my family.  They visited Mom's and we would drive home so the children could know them a bit. They came here one trip.

Alan graced their table and ate some awesome chicken dumplings she had made when we left Lincoln, NE. from his competition in Roller Skating Nationals. I was never able to replicate them for him.

Uncle loved to fish and  once in  awhile hunt game when young.

I remember a trip when we came into Grandpa's farm and they all grabbed fishing poles and went fishing for fresh trout for breakfast that morning. Of course they were there, the men went fishing and the ladies, cooked and baked and prepared for their return.  We arrived about 4:30 in the morning. I remember setting the table after expanding it and doing as Grandma Hoffman asked.  Mom's dog was still alive and laying by the side door. Her dog from when young. He was like 18 yeas she said. Mom was thrilled.

My baby brother loves trout like that the same way.

 Uncle so wanted to go fishing one more time. But it was  his turn to go home, so he can fish more there with less discomfort and have fun.

I will miss our often phone calls but will share time with Aunt Doris. She makes some wicked Chokecherry Jams and Jellies. I used to make it less thick and use for syrup over pancakes. She is an excellent cook and homemaker.

He served during the war for our Country and was a Veteran also. Rest in Peace Uncle Dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment