Thursday, January 8, 2015

What Program Do You Use?

O I know that is very vague.  The other day Randy Seaver asked a question on what genealogical software do you use and why are we not working on the FamilySearch Family Tree?

I took stock of what I have, at Jamboree years ago I tried their new Geni.com, I liked it and shared it also with a relative. They also like it. They are more technical than I.  They have lost me at this point with all the ancestors 2,000 years back.

Then I was amazed at what I saw using MyHeritage.com and this year they even came out with shaking leaves of a sort.  I have been using it strongly for over 2 years almost 3 now.  Alas the other day they made changes and my tree is a mess.

As a MAC (APPLE) user, I have had Reunion since 1995 with first computer.  The creator I met and he is a distant Myers cousin.  LOL, that doesn't help me to master using the program like I would like.

I have actually thought of getting a notebook computer so I could use Roots Magic. I have sat in on many of their presentations and personally think it is the best overall software out there.  Legacy has one feature it does not but Legacy is all over everywhere. Really love Roots Magic.

I have an I - Pad and use Reunion on it and try to work MyHeritage on it also.  The I-Pad just is not a computer.

Not forgetting I have Ancestry.com and a tree there that with their latest upgrade is a disaster because when adding a new member it disconnected a whole line, I have no idea why or how and I am not able to reconnect it reversing what I did.  Ancestry does way to many changes. I like how you can connect information to the tree when it is working correctly and doesn't say in the middle you have to wait or come back.   It probably has the most sourced information except for my original tree with out a program that I had done eons ago.

Now, I have indexed for Family History Center for the 1940 census. But tonight they say I do not exist. Strange and I was at the LDS Library today. It won't recognize any of my three working names.

I was going to go back in and see if I thought FamilySearch Family Tree had improved since the last time I looked at it.

Was hoping to more adequately answer Randy's questions of why I shy away from it.

Wiki is just not the way I want to go. They should have kept track of the erroneous information better.
After all us genealogists have to prove everything down to a dotted i and a crossed t now days.

Wishing that was in place when I garnered information from grandparents and relatives that could have written it out or I could have recorded it maybe.  Some things are hard to or not possible to track.

So with Randy's comments I thought I might try it again.  After all, having expanded my blog reading to include more people for feedback and thoughts and ideas, I felt I owed that to myself and others I work with to be more informed.

I use the computers at LDS Library and and save urls and garner information as I can find time when home.  How you get it from LDS data to your computer program is another matter.

Gentleman, at LDS today asked if I could tell him how to do it. I said, alas I could not, he was using FTM as his program and I hear that it is compatible to LDS.  Randy if you see this I can give you his name and url to contact.

Talking of programs other than above, do you use Dropbox, Evernote and other programs that are to assist us in our endeavors?  Why do they work so weird on Pads verses computers?  Enough to make one pull whats left of our hair out.

Would love to hear some feed back.







No comments:

Post a Comment