Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Madness- Scott Surname of Mine

 Scott is a surname I have in my family.  Ironically I have found this name not only in Virginia but also in New England. Now that is the twist.  Our Ydna match comes from a Scott out of supposedly early Mass to Canada then down into the United States and they are now living in Chicago and Florida.

The farthest I have documented is Thomas Scott's death in Halifax Co. VA. It seems the Scott researchers had hunted for years in Pittsylvania and did not realize that it was Halifax until just after Thomas died.

I surmise Thomas Scott birth to be about 1730.

Death was 1767 Halifax Co. VA

The will of Thomas Scott of Halifax Co. was written on 25 January 1767 (Halifax Co. Will Bk. O, p. 215-216). Thomas Scott being very sick and week but in perfect mind and memmory ordaineth this his last will and testament that is to say first of all I devise my land where on now I live the hole tract may be sold for money to pay all my just debts and the remaining part of the price of the land may be aplyed to the necessary support of my family. Next it is my will and desire that my wife Susana Scott may have negro girl filis with all my other movable goods also all my chattels of every kind for the support of her self and my children in during her lifetime and at her deth what is remaining to be equally devided amongh my children quantity and quality and I do hereby appoint constitute and ordain Francis Brandon with my well beloved wife Susana Scott my only and sole executors in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year above written Signed Thomas Scott and Sealed and Delivered in the presence of Nathaniel Ayers, George Roberts, William Payne.
At a court held for Halifax Co. 19th day February 1767 the within written last will and Testament of Thomas Scott Decd. was exhibited in Court by Francis Brandon Executor and Susana Scott Executor therein appointed who made oath thereto according to law and the same was proved by the affirmation of Nathaniel Ayres, William Payne two of the subscribing witnesses and ordered to be recorded and the said executor and Executrix having together with Nathaniel Terry? Gent. their security entered into and acknowledged bond as the law directs on their motion. Certificate was granted them for obtaining a probate of the said will in due form. Tese. Robert Munford Clk. Truly recorded Test. R. Munford Ck.?
The inventory of the estate was probably made in May 1767 (Halifax Co., Va., Will Bk. O, p. 226-227).
The inventory of the estate of Thos. Scott decd. This is followed by three lines of inventory that can’t be read from my copy. The value of each item is given at the end of the line. Because of the way the next page is copied, about three lines are omitted at the top of the page. To. 1 pan; To. 8 spoons and 1 churn. To. 3 axes, 2 how, 1 mattock, 1 wedge, 1-----, 1 pinchers?; To. 1 sining wheal, 2 other wheals, 16 whole stick?; To. 1 parl button & ? –potrach?, 1 g-----; To. 3 –2 saddles; To. 4 sheep, 1 black mare; To. 1 set of plow irons; To. 1 ---- ---- mare, 1 black horse; To. 5 geese; To. 2 hens?; To. 5 cows with yearlings; To. 4 bells; To. 1 Box iron cups and ----- 1 lock; To. 2 chests of books; To. 9 chairs, 1 conk shell; John Lawson, William Brandon, John Colwell. At a court held for Halifax County the 18th day of June 1789, the written inventory and appraisement was ---- ordered to be recorded. Test Robert ---- (probably Munford).

(WE recently learned that James Scott also of Halifax Co  died in 1758.  If so may be a clue to birth place.)
Also a William whom I have tied to our lines. I think?

Thomas had more children than what we have proven: These proven are: Nimrod Sr. Anne, Jacob, and John.

Thomas wife was Susanna or Luriana ( I think it a mis spelling due to condition of paper. She may have been a Payne ??
 Will says Susanna and court order when she sued says the other spelling.


 John is my line.

 John Scott married Sophira (Sophia) Murray Murry, spelling variant. 18 Nov 1782 Pittsylvania Co. VA

John served in Military.   abt 1778  5th Regiment of the Virginia Continental Line; Capt James Williams Company  LIsted in DAR Records     Military discharged from the Miltary 1782
Owned 175 acres in Pittsylvania Co. VA 1782 tax Records.
He is in Pittsylvania Co. 1782 for marriage, and census he is in  VA Military District 1801.

He is in Cumberland Co. Old Cherokee Nation area  He is on 1830 census for Cumberland Cp. Ky
Death was 24 March 1843

He has many children:
Shadrack born 22 Feb 1790 in Pittsylvania Co. VA death 11 Nov 1850 Henry Co. IA.  grew up in KY.
marries 1815 in KY to Harriet Cynthia Lewis. Believe her kin was neighbors in VA? not proven yet.
I have her picture. She b 1 May 1798 NC ? death 4 May 1887 Marion, Henry Co.. IA.

Shadrack and Harriet have: Nathaniel.  John Cornelius *, Betsey, James Dallas, Abner Robert, Strother, Nancy Susan, Shadrack, Helen, & Harriet Cynthia Scott.

John C is my line more on next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment