Friday, March 5, 2010

Following Friday AnceStories by Miriam Midkiff

I have been following Miriam Midkiff's blog: AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors

She mixes her information up from interesting information, to family data and posts
Data that I like to have for information. Here below is an example.
With her permission. Thanks Miriam.

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 8:01 AM, susi c pentico wrote:
May I post this on my blog also??

On Mar 4, 2010, at 10:34 AM, AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors wrote:

Here are the FeedBlitz email updates for susicp@cox.net

WDYTYA? Guest Appearances and New Book
Fearless Females Prompt 3
Fearless Females Prompt 2
More Recent Articles
Search AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors
WDYTYA? Guest Appearances and New Book and more...
WDYTYA? Guest Appearances and New Book

I received a press release from Ancestry stating that people from the Who Do You Think You Are? show will be appearing on various television shows this week to promote the series. No information on exactly who these individuals are, perhaps Lisa Kudrow, producers, or some of the celebrities highlighted. The information below may correct some of the information I have on my Calendar of Events post, particularly The Oprah Show:


* Wednesday, March 3 - Today Show (NBC) 8-9 am; The View (ABC - check your local TV listings); The Joy Behar Show (HLN - Headline News) 9 pm ET
* Friday, March 5 - Today Show (NBC) 10-11 am
* Monday, March 8 - Martha Stewart (check your local TV listings)
* Tuesday, March - Oprah (check your local TV listings);Craig Ferguson (CBS late night)
* Friday, March 19 - Bonnie Hunt (check your local TV listings)

Additionally, I received the following information from Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak:

I am thrilled to announce that my new book, Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family History is being released tomorrow! The book is a companion piece to NBC's ground-breaking new genealogy series, Who Do You Think You Are?, which premiers on Friday.

Since the show is the first of its kind on primetime TV, I'd love to hear the thoughts of those in the trenches of the genealogy community - you! Be sure to share your comments on the show (and the book) with me on Facebook and Twitter -- and please spread the word!

Megan
P.S. Amazon is currently selling the book for $16.47 (list price is $24.95). A great bargain!

• Email to a friend • Article Search • Related • View comments • Track comments • •


Fearless Females Prompt 3

March 3 — Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern. If not, then list the most unique or unusual female first name you’ve come across in your family tree.

As my first name is fairly unusual, I was surprised to discover many years ago that I actually did have several ancestors with the same name. One of my maternal 6th-great-grandmothers was Miriam HALL (1757 - 1823), who lived in Mansfield, Tolland County, Connecticut and Duanesburg, Schenectady County, New York. Her mother was Miriam WOLCOTT, of whom I have no information.

I was not named for any of my ancestors. My parents liked the name and picked it from the Bible. When I was nine months old, my parents and I traveled to Michigan from our home in Alaska to spend time with my parents' families for Christmas. I met my great-grandmother, Lillian Fern (STRONG) HOEKSTRA for the first time. She loved the name Mary so much that she used it as a nickname for herself. She asked my mother to change my name to Mary, but my mother gently told her that I was already used to my name, and since Miriam is the Hebrew variation of the Greek Mary, it was nearly the same thing.

For more on the Fearless Females Blogging Prompts, visit The Accidental Genealogist.

• Email to a friend • Article Search • Related • View comments • Track comments • •



Fearless Females Prompt 2

March 2 — Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?



This is a photograph of my 3rd-great-grandparents, Anna (CROTHERS) and John H. YORK, taken in the 1860s, probably in Genesee County, Michigan. I chose this photo because it is of my oldest female ancestor ever photographed, or at least the oldest one of which I have a photo. I have photographs of three other 3rd-great-grandmothers, but Anna was the oldest one of them. She was born 11 December 1825 in Erie County, New York and died 14 February 1905 in Goodrich, Genesee County, Michigan. She is also the daughter of the woman who made the cross-stitch sampler in my previous Fearless Females post.

For more on the Fearless Females Blogging Prompts, visit The Accidental Genealogist.

• Email to a friend • Article Search • Related • View comments • Track comments • •


More Recent Articles

Findmypast.co.uk Reveals Stark Contrast Between Career Trends in 1911 and 2010
Frugal Genealogy: Books and Magazine Subscriptions
Fearless Females Prompt 1
Update to March 2010 Calendar of Events
Madness Monday: Attempting to Find Online Naturalization Records for James W. BARBER


Click here to safely unsubscribe now from "AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors" or change your subscription or subscribe
Your requested content delivery powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA. +1.978.776.9498


She added in her reply some new blogs she has created and I will post those here also.

Yes, of course! And see my March 2010 Calendar of Events for the fine details: http://ancestories1.blogspot.com/2010/03/march-2010-calendar-of-events.html


Miriam
--
Miriam Robbins Midkiff
Spokane, Washington, USA
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Check out my newest website: Online Historical Newspapers
http://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home

Check out my new website: Online Historical Directories
http://sites.google.com/site/onlinedirectorysite/Home

My Family History Blog: http://ancestories1.blogspot.com
#6 in ProGenealogists' Top 25 Genealogy Blogs

Eastern Washington Genealogical Society Blog:
http://ewgs-spokane.blogspot.com

1 comment: