Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Madness Harvey Edward FOULK

I have an ancestor with an interesting disappearance. At least so far I have only gotten rumors and stories. Wow, Grandma even did not know the answer to this one and it was her father.

Long ago in Berks Co. PA we start proven with JOHN FOLK dcd 1793 WILL Proven, I have it.
We descend down to (duel lines) William Henry Foulk b 1846 in Somerset Co PA, died 1940 in
Blackhawk Co., IOWA. He marries Katherine Myers his cousin who is also a FOULK ie FOLK descendant. Her Mother is Sarah Elizabeth Foulk (Jane) who marries John MYERS in ie old Cumberland Co PA later Perry Co., PA.
William Henry and Katherine Myers Foulk have Harvey Edward FOULK. He is born 18 October 1867 in Illinios. He bought and farmed in Washburn, Blackhawk Co., IA as an adult. He married 19 October 1892 in Blackhawk Co. IA to Margaret Mae EASTMAN whom was born 6 oct 1874 in Iowa and died 23 Jan 1958 in Washburn, Blackhawk Co. IA.

She was my Great Grandmother, I wrote to her for about 4 years as a young adult living in California. I wish I had been able to know her better. I kept some of her letters in my trunk.

Great Grandfather is the puzzle. He supposedly went to Seattle, Wash. with a shipment of wheat he sold to Russia and wanted to make sure it got on the ship. As far as I can learn
no one heard from him again or they are not talking or were not talking. I can not even
pin down when this happened but am working on that. It had to be after or around 1930, I suspect.

I understand he and Grandma were maybe at odds with each other. I know years later she remarried to a Mr. Archer. I can not even remember his first name because I wrote to him as GGrandfather Archer. That information I may find but they had no children, so a mote point.

I tried to contact the Merchant Marines, shipping lines and census records. I looked for data in Australia because some cousins thought he went there from Seattle. I did this in the 60's and 70's so maybe there is something more I am missing out there today.
I would like to have closure on what happened to Great Grandfather FOULK.


No comments:

Post a Comment