Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Inez Mae Scott Hoffman. 1892-1961

Inez Mae Scott,  was born in Taylor Township, Appanoose Co., Iowa.  She was born on 6 October 1892.   She is a middle child.

Her parents were Cornelius Scott and Ella Warden ( Sis has a nice picture of them. Mom thought Sis looked like Ella) Scott.  Cornelius Scott was b 31 Jan 1856, passing 4 Dec 1918.   Ella was born 22 Jan 1862 passing 4 Aug  1918.

Inez Mae Scott married Cecil Leroy Hoffman on 29 May 1912 in Centerville, Iowa.
Cecil Leroy (Lee)(Dutch) both known nicknames of Grand Dad, was born 9 May 1891.  he passed away 24 Oct 1962 in Wheatland, Wyoming.  She died here also on 14 Nov 1961.  Her illness was a slow uncomfortable passing.  Grand Dad had a Heart attack as he was making plans to come visit us in California.  Their two younger daughters lived on the west coast.

Grand Mother made beautiful crocheted bedspreads and table clothes.  I do not know if any family member has them.  Mine was sold to help pay for her Funeral.  I do have a heart crocheted sachet I was able to keep and an apron.

Dad told us this story, which gave me a different prospective on what I perceived as of my Grand mother.

Dad had taken Mom on a date.  They arrived home ten minutes late.  He knocks  walks in and grabs Grandma and danced her around the floor telling how much fun they had at the dance.  Mom said her Mom danced, answered him and never scolded my Mom for them being late.  I always was in trouble with Grandma.

The worst was in my preteens she sent me to tell Aunt Marie we had arrived. She lived about a quarter mile down the road over the hill. Sis and I first went the wrong way then we found this family
that did not fit the description we expected.  Terrified by a huge snake, yes it was longer than width of the road, larger around, than my arm.  We run, jumped over it and did not stop until we got to Grandma's house.  Out of breathe, we tried to tell them we could not find Aunt Marie's.  We did find an Indian lady and boys in the yard and this huge snake.
Well, Aunt Marie had throw back genes and was not German Scotch fair like the rest of the family.  She was dark with black hair and short of stature.

She was the Aunt who shared so much genealogy with me.  I was blessed to visit with her several times even as an adult.  But my comment about the dark lady down the road had Grandma, blow a cork.

It seemed I never got in her good graces again.  We

also learned you never mentioned Indian in any form near her.

I think the man given to the Indians off the train had been her kin, another story later.


Thinking we cousins could get together and write an awesome adventurous bio about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment